Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yes, Melissa there will be Olive Bread.


Edie Tonight, old girl, you did it!
You did it! You did it! You said that you would do it,
And indeed you did. I thought that you would rue it;
I doubted you'd do it. But now I must admit it
That succeed you did. You should get a medal
Or be even made a knight. Leslie It was nothing.
Really nothing.
Edie, All alone you hurdled
Ev'ry obstacle in sight.
We know that we have said it,
But-you did it and the credit
For it all belongs to you!

This has only taken, oh say, about 35 years. Now I didn't work on it daily and some decades I didn't even try. This is a HUGE success. I have to thank my husband for always being an excited and willing participant in my crazy adventures (he just admonished me to save him a little bread for when he gets home). And I should thank our now missing friend, Dan Johnson, who was there for the first attempt when we killed the yeast with hot water and then pummeled the dough to death with "karate" kneading.  And a "wink" goes to another unnamed friend who was so "I don't know what" that he sat in front of his oven and watched a loaf of bread rise "a la" an Andy Warhol film - if you don't know Warhol's films they are liking watching bread rise.

And a BIG thanks to Jim Lahey author of the book My Bread who made this success possible. Where was this book 30 years ago?????







No comments: