Thursday, December 27, 2007

Utah Ridge

6" x 8" Oil on Panel


This painting was done en plein air (painted on site) in Nelsonville, Ohio. The hills pictured are the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains (Appalachia).

I drove to Nelsonville in the Hocking Hills of Southern Ohio in order to paint in preparation for the annual Ohio Plein Air Painting competition. I turned off the main drag and went down a side road where I found a field with a great view of these hills. It was midday and very, very hot. I can still hear the flies and other bugs buzzing around me. Never forget your bug spray or sun tan lotion when painting en plein air. I had a great day painting solo, well except for the flies.

When I got back to my hotel, I looked up the site on my map and found the name of the ridge - Utah. I have no idea how it got that name, but I liked it and that is how I came up with the title for this work.

No comments: